A heating and hot water production system increasingly appreciated by the French, the heat pump is distinguished by its ecological operation and the possibility of significant energy savings. The annual maintenance contract can be offered with a breakdown service to act to prevent a possible breakdown of your customers’ installation, and therefore a breakdown of their heat pump. Regular maintenance ensures a longer heat pump lifespan for total and complete peace of mind of use over the years.
HEAT PUMP MAINTENANCE HAS BECOME MANDATORY
Since decree no. 2020-912 of July 28, 2020, heat pumps with a power of 4 to 70 kW must be maintained by a professional every 2 years. The higher range devices are no exception, but with a control visit every 5 years.
In addition to protecting the installation, this maintenance ensures optimum operation of the heat pump, in particular of its outdoor unit. Its life is thus greatly extended. Among the essential points, there is general cleaning, the sealing of the refrigerant, as well as the adjustment or repair of the thermodynamic system. Essential operations to prevent leaks of R410A fluid or R32 gas, which are particularly greenhouse gas emitters. According to the maintenance contract, these various costs are planned or not. Manufacturers of parts for this type of installation require a maintenance contract to offer a warranty.
Faced with the enthusiasm for heat pumps, the AFPAC (French Association for Heat Pumps) decided to create a dedicated working group and provide professionals with standard maintenance contracts. These can be downloaded directly from the association’s website. Developed in collaboration with manufacturers, these service contract templates are ready-to-use and legally compliant. It contains the general and specific conditions, adapted to the different heat pumps, including hybrid models. They summarize point by point the steps to be carried out during an inspection. On average, the price of a maintenance contract for a heat pump is around 150 to 180 € per year.
REMINDER OF THE MANDATORY CONDITIONS FOR HANDLING REFRIGERANTS
- Technicians must be approved by obtaining a certificate of competence. This certificate is mandatory to handle a fluorinated greenhouse gas, whether in extinction, in dielectric or in a solvent. The training must be delivered by a certified evaluator body.
- Each visit must correspond to an intervention sheet. It is supplemented by a fluid waste tracking slip to avoid any mixing with other waste.
- All fluids handled and recovered during operations must be declared to ADEME with the exact quantities.
- Depending on the leak test, a colored badge must be affixed to the equipment. In this way, it is clearly identified whether the device can be used or not.
THE 20 CHECKPOINTS TO BE CARRIED OUT DURING THE MAINTENANCE OF A HEAT PUMP
The following points must be checked, measured and controlled :
- Electrical protections and connections
- Electrical currents
- Power supply voltage
- Insulation condition
- Adjustment of the regulation and engagement of the thermal back-up
- Apparent tightness of the refrigeration circuit
- Cleaning the air exchanger
- Filter cleaning
- Condensate drain
- Fan operation
- Operating temperatures on air and water
- Vase d’expansion
- Heating water
- Circulator Operation
- Heat transfer fluid and the frost protection level
- Sealing safety valve and hydraulic components
- Storage tank protection anode
- Overall visual and auditory condition
- Functional test after intervention
- Explanations to the user and advice on the operation of the system.
Compulsory every 2 years, the maintenance of a heat pump benefits both market professionals and owners. Increasingly regulated, interventions must be carried out by a professional holding a certificate of competence. Following its control visit, a report must be drawn up to assess the performance and the sizing, as well as recommendations for users.